Sunday, October 7, 2012

I Want To Be a Monster


This is a very cute book by C and M Dixon about a young girl who wants to be a monster for Halloween while her mother wants to dress her up in girly outfits. I enjoyed the timing of the pages with the mother offering numerous ideas for frilly, cutesy outfits and the young girl maintaining that she wants to be a monster. This book is very subtle, but does speak very well about letting kids be themselves. The mother relents in the end and lets her child know she will still love her even if she's a monster. I like the illustrations being done with paper cutouts, but the main weakness in them is the expressions from the mother and daughter. These could have been stronger. I don't think it weakened the theme, though. I would recommend this books to parents of small children as much for the grownups as for the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment